Data Services : ERDDAP
Environmental Research Division’s Data Access Program (ERDDAP)
CAUTION: We are currently in the process of migrating our data to a new machine. Please update your bookmarks and tools accordingly by the end of January 2020. Some dataset identifiers may have changed, so double-check all URLs:
Supports a large variety of output formats for both gridded and point-based data sets. Useful as both a data server and a data viewer. Our primary data server for non-gridded data sets, such as in situ observations from buoys, stations, autonomous underwater vehicles, field collections, and other discrete sampling geometries.
- Subset and download data in a wide variety of output formats.
- Map and plot either gridded or non-gridded (e.g., point-based) data sets.
- RESTful (URL-based) data access for both gridded and point data sets.
- Highly customizable data access and data browse capabilities in one interface.
- Metadata in three flavors: FGDC, ISO, and NetCDF attributes. Tip: View PacIOOS metadata at http://pacioos.org/data/metadata/
- Web Map Service (WMS) only supports the geographic “latlon” projection (EPSG:4326). Tip:THREDDS provides WMS with further projection support and other enhancements.
- Data sets that include variables with and without a depth component must be split into separate catalog entries.
- Maps and plots are not interactive: you cannot drag/pan them, click to query data, or double-click to zoom, etc. Tip: See PacIOOS Voyager.
- Coastlines are coarse and no basemaps are provided, such as satellite imagery, Google-like maps, or other geographic aids. Tip: See PacIOOS Voyager.
- Includes real-time and other in situ observations like water quality buoys, nearshore sensors, automatic weather stations (AWS), autonomous underwater vehicles (AUV), water quality samples, biological surveys, and other discrete sampling geometries.
- Provides most of our forecast models, satellite data, and other gridded data like bathymetry, though it cannot handle irregular (curvilinear) grids like some of our Regional Ocean Models (ROMS).
- RESTful (URL-based) data access
- gridded data only:
- Web Map Service (WMS): EPSG:4326 latlon projection only. For spherical mercator (EPSG:3857) and other map projections, use THREDDS instead.
- DODS binary (OPeNDAP)
- ASCII text: comma-separated values (CSV) or tab-separated values (TSV)
- JSON, GeoJSON
- HTML table
- MATLAB binary
- ISO 19115-2: Geographic Information − Metadata
- FGDC: U.S. Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (CSDGM)
- CF: NetCDF Climate and Forecast Metadata Convention
- NetCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset Discovery (ACDD)
- makes maps and time series plots
- generates vector maps (wind, currents) from u (eastward) and v (northward) velocity components