Data Services : ERDDAP
Environmental Research Division’s Data Access Program (ERDDAP)
Supports a large variety of output formats for both gridded and point-based data sets. Useful as both a data server and a data viewer.
- Subset and download data in a large variety of output formats.
- Map and plot either gridded or point data sets. Tip: You may prefer gridded plots using Live Access Server (LAS) and in situ plots using DChart.
- RESTful (URL-based) data access for both gridded and point data sets.
- Highly customizable data access and data browse capabilities in one interface.
- Metadata in three flavors: FGDC, ISO, and NetCDF attributes. Tip: View PacIOOS metadata at http://pacioos.org/data/metadata/
- Web Map Service (WMS) only supports the geographic “latlong” projection (EPSG:4326). Tip:TDS provides WMS with greater projection support and other enhancements.
- Data sets that include variables with and without a depth component must be split into separate catalog entries.
- Maps and plots are not interactive: you cannot drag/pan them, click to query data, or double-click to zoom.
- Coastlines are coarse and no basemaps are provided, such as satellite imagery, Google-like maps, or other geographic aids.
- Includes real-time in situ observations that are point-based (water quality buoys, nearshore sensors), though we have not yet included the tide gauges.
- Does not handle radials (high frequency radios) or trajectories (autonomous underwater vehicles).
- Provides most of our forecast models, satellite data, and other gridded data like bathymetry, though it cannot handle irregular (curvilinear) grids like our native ROMS ocean model.
- Links to a few external data sets not offered in our other servers, including CTD data from the PacX wave gliders.
- RESTful (URL-based) data access
- gridded data only:
- Web Map Service (WMS) (EPSG:4326 latlong projection only)
- DODS binary (OPeNDAP)
- ASCII text: comma-separated values (CSV) or tab-separated values (TSV)
- JSON, GeoJSON
- HTML table
- MATLAB binary
- Ocean Data View (ODV)
- ISO 19115-2: Geographic Information − Metadata
- FGDC: U.S. Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC) Content Standard for Digital Geospatial Metadata (CSDGM)
- CF: NetCDF Climate and Forecast Metadata Convention
- NetCDF Attribute Convention for Dataset Discovery
- makes maps and time series plots
- generates vector maps (wind, currents) from u (eastward) and v (northward) velocity components