Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Data Management Specialist
Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Data Management SpecialistPosted February 27, 2023
Seize the unique opportunity to join our small but dedicated and innovative team
The PacIOOS Data Management Specialist is an exciting, new full-time position that will support the technical operation of the data services run by the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS) to implement the Regional Ocean Data Sharing Initiative (RODSI).
The Data Management Specialist will work closely with GIS managers and Coastal Zone Management (CZM) managers in the Pacific Islands to identify existing and needed data layers for the regional data portal, as well as desired visualization tools related to coastal and ocean data. Additionally, the successful candidate will provide user-level support of hardware and software used by PacIOOS to distribute data and products to regional partners and provide guidance on future data serving needs.
At the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS), we believe that coastal and ocean information helps save lives and protects livelihoods and resources. Our mission is to empower ocean users and stakeholders throughout the Pacific Islands by providing accurate and reliable coastal and ocean information, tools, and services that are easy to access and use.
Based within the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, PacIOOS is one of 11 regional associations of the U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®). Check out our website at www.pacioos.org to learn more about our program and the data, tools, and services we provide.
Curious about the position’s benefits and perks and how to apply? View the complete list of job qualifications on the RCUH posting (details below).
You will love this job at PacIOOS because:
- You will be making a difference in the lives of people across the Pacific Islands.
- You will engage and collaborate with an extremely diverse group of people and cultures.
- You will be encouraged to be creative and innovative in how you succeed and meet program goals and objectives.
- You will be part of an awesome team of talented and capable technicians, scientists, students, and programmers.
- You will have the opportunity to grow in this position and to take on additional responsibilities as you excel and learn about program operations and goals.
- You will have flexible work hours in a relaxed and friendly work environment.
- You will always have a new challenge to address. Ocean observing is extremely dynamic!
Benefits and Perks
Although the RCUH application paperwork is admittedly time-consuming, please don’t let this dissuade you from applying to PacIOOS! Once you get past that stage, it is great to be an employee in the RCUH system. Here are some teasers:
- 21 vacation days every year and 21 sick days every year.
- Stellar retirement plan through TIAA-CREF, a 403(b) plan. RCUH contributes 10% of compensation once you meet eligibility requirements (1 year of service with RCUH), even if you contribute nothing!
- UH/RCUH faculty/staff ID card with associated benefits on UH Mānoa campus.
Here is why one employee loves working at PacIOOS:
“I love how much PacIOOS and its employees care about the ocean and are committed to ocean observations. Staff are constantly trying to improve and expand on what we offer to support every-day decision-making for our users. It never gets old working at PacIOOS since it’s such a diverse program and team. No matter the field or specialty, whether programming, instrument technology, modeling, community outreach, or research, it’s a great and innovative team that supports each other and pushes the envelope to make a difference.”
To view the full job description, including details on Major Duties, Primary and Secondary Qualifications, and to apply online, please visit the job posting on the RCUH website (https://www.rcuh.com): click on Job Postings and enter job ID 223129.