Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Deputy Director
Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Deputy DirectorPosted February 25, 2022
****** The deadline to apply was March 24, 2022. This job posting has closed. ******
Seize the unique opportunity to join our small but dedicated and innovative team
The PacIOOS Deputy Director is an exciting, full-time position*, responsible for the operation and growth of data, outreach, and observing system components within PacIOOS in order to achieve the vision detailed in the PacIOOS Strategic Plan. The successful candidate will create and submit funding proposals for development and sustained operations of PacIOOS and will ensure successful collaboration among PacIOOS staff, co-PIs, and stakeholders to advance PacIOOS growth in the region through the acquisition of new observations, development of new data products, enhanced distribution of available data and information, and engagement of new users and stakeholders.
We are looking for a self-motivated, creative, and flexible team member with excellent coordination, communication, and interpersonal skills. A Master’s degree and five to seven years of progressively responsible program management experience are necessary, including the preparation of successful proposals for program or project funding, experience working in Hawaiʻi and the insular Pacific territories and Nations that comprise the PacIOOS region, experience working with diverse groups of stakeholders towards a common vision, experience working with ocean observing data and technologies, and experience working with regional and national interagency committees. While the position will be based in Honolulu, extensive travel throughout the Insular Pacific is anticipated, once current travel restrictions ease. Salary is commensurate with experience.
PacIOOS stakeholders and users heavily rely on our network of oceanographic sensors and forecasts across the U.S. Pacific Islands for timely, reliable, and accurate information to support their decision-making. At the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS), we believe that coastal and ocean information helps save lives and protects livelihoods and resources. Our mission is to empower ocean users and stakeholders throughout the Pacific Islands by providing accurate and reliable coastal and ocean information, tools, and services that are easy to access and use.
Based within the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology (SOEST) at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, PacIOOS is one of 11 regional associations of the U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®). Check out our website at www.pacioos.org to learn more about our program and the data, tools, and services we provide.
Curious about the position’s benefits and perks and how to apply? Details are below to view the complete list of job qualifications on the RCUH posting.
*Continuation of employment is dependent on program needs and availability of funds.
You will love this job at PacIOOS because:
- You will be making a difference in the lives of people across the Pacific Islands.
- You will engage and collaborate with an extremely diverse group of people and cultures.
- You will travel and spend time in awesome locations throughout the Pacific Islands region.
- You will be encouraged to be creative and innovative in how you succeed and meet PacIOOS program goals and objectives.
- You will be part of an awesome team of talented and capable technicians, scientists, students, and programmers.
- You will have the opportunity to grow in this position and to take on additional responsibilities as you excel and learn about program operations and goals.
- You will have flexible work hours in a relaxed and friendly work environment.
- You will always have a new challenge to address. Ocean observing is extremely dynamic!
Benefits and Perks
Although the RCUH application paperwork is admittedly time-consuming, please don’t let this dissuade you from applying to PacIOOS! Once you get past that stage, it is great to be an employee in the RCUH system. Here are some teasers:
- 21 vacation days every year and 21 sick days every year.
- Stellar retirement plan through TIAA-CREF, a 403(b) plan. RCUH contributes 10% of compensation once you meet eligibility requirements (1 year of service with RCUH), even if you contribute nothing!
- UH/RCUH faculty/staff ID card with associated benefits on UH Mānoa campus.
Here is why one employee loves working at PacIOOS:
“I love how much PacIOOS and its employees care about the ocean and are committed to ocean observations. Staff are constantly trying to improve and expand on what we offer to support every-day decision-making for our users. It never gets old working at PacIOOS since it’s such a diverse program and team. No matter the field or specialty, whether programming, instrument technology, modeling, community outreach, or research, it’s a great and innovative team that supports each other and pushes the envelope to make a difference.”
To view the full job description, including details on Major Duties, Primary and Secondary Qualifications, and to apply online, please visit the job posting on the RCUH website (https://www.rcuh.com): click on Job Postings and enter job ID 222127.