Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Oceanographic Technician
Job Opportunity: PacIOOS Oceanographic TechnicianPosted January 11, 2022
****** The deadline to apply was January 26, 2022. This job posting has closed. ******
Seize the unique opportunity to join our small but dedicated and innovative team
The PacIOOS Oceanographic Technician is an exciting, full-time, entry-level position, responsible to provide technical and logistical support for the PacIOOS wave buoy program. PacIOOS stakeholders and users heavily rely on our network of 15 wave buoys across the U.S. Pacific Islands for timely, reliable, and accurate wave and ocean information to support their decision making. With millions of data requests and website views, the wave buoy program is one of PacIOOS’ high-profile programs, serving hundreds of thousands of users across the Pacific and worldwide.
This position will participate in operational fieldwork in the Hawaiian Islands and throughout the Pacific Islands to install and recover wave buoys, and assist with the fabrication, maintenance, assembly, and refurbishment of buoys, moorings, anchor systems, and associated equipment. The successful candidate will also operate and help maintain the 27-ft research vessel, and help coordinate supply inventories and shipping logistics.
We are looking for a detail-oriented, self-motivated, creative, and flexible team member with excellent communication and interpersonal skills. One to three years of experience with oceanographic fieldwork and engineering are necessary, as well as strong on- and in-water skills and knowledge of safe and effective small boat operations. Please follow the link below to view all of the job qualifications. Salary is commensurate with experience.
At the Pacific Islands Ocean Observing System (PacIOOS) we believe that coastal and ocean information helps save lives and protects livelihoods and resources. Our mission is to empower ocean users and stakeholders throughout the Pacific Islands by providing accurate and reliable coastal and ocean information, tools, and services that are easy to access and use.
Based within the School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology at the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, PacIOOS is one of 11 regional associations of the U.S. Integrated Ocean Observing System (IOOS®). Check out our website at www.pacioos.org to learn more about our program and the data, tools, and services we provide.
You will love this job at PacIOOS because:
- You will be making a difference in the lives of people in Hawaiʻi and across the Pacific.
- You will engage with an extremely diverse group of people and cultures. (Yes, this means travel to awesome locations within the western and south Pacific!)
- You will be encouraged to be creative and innovative in how you succeed and meet PacIOOS program goals and objectives.
- You will be part of an awesome team of talented and capable technicians, scientists, students, and programmers.
- You will have the opportunity to grow in this position and to take on additional responsibilities as you excel and learn about program operations and goals.
- You will have flexible work hours in a relaxed and friendly work environment at the University of Hawaiʻi Mānoa campus.
- You will always have a new challenge to address. Ocean observing is extremely dynamic!
Benefits and Perks
Although the RCUH application paperwork is admittedly time-consuming, please don’t let this dissuade you from applying to PacIOOS! Once you get past that stage, it is great to be an employee in the RCUH system. Here are some teasers:
- 21 vacation days every year and 21 sick days every year.
- Stellar retirement plan through TIAA-CREF, a 403(b) plan. RCUH contributes 10% of compensation once you meet eligibility requirements (1 year of service with RCUH), even if you contribute nothing!
- UH/RCUH faculty/staff ID card with associated benefits on UH Mānoa campus.
Here is why one employee loves working at PacIOOS:
“I love how much PacIOOS and its employees care about the ocean and are committed to ocean observations. Staff are constantly trying to improve and expand on what we offer to support every-day decision-making for our users. It never gets old working at PacIOOS since it’s such a diverse program and team. No matter the field or specialty, whether programming, instrument technology, modeling, community outreach, or research, it’s a great and innovative team that supports each other and pushes the envelope to make a difference.”
To view the full job description, including details on Major Duties, Primary and Secondary Qualifications, and to apply online, please visit the job posting on the RCUH website (https://www.rcuh.com): click on Job Postings and enter job ID #222006.